Here are some tips to battle loneliness over the holidays
- Healthy habits: make sure to keep your diet healthy, maintain a healthy sleep routine and get plenty of exercise.
- Plan your alone time: fill up your day with activities that you enjoy (e.g. read a book, complete a jigsaw puzzle or try a mindfulness meditation exercise.
- Avoid comparisons with others: we naturally make comparisons between ourselves and others. However, these comparisons can leave s feel down or lonely.
- Make plans for Christmas and New Year’s Eve:
- Attend a community event- many councils and charities run Christmas day and New Year’s Eve event that anyone can attend.
- Invite someone over for the day- chances are there are others that feel lonely too
- Volunteer at your local charity
- Start conversations: say “hello” or wish your neighbours a “Merry Christmas.” Interacting and receiving smiles from others can help boost your mood.
- Spend time with your animal friends: go for a walk or give them their own Christmas themed fashion parade. Everyone loves a cute pet picture.
- Contact Friend line (1800 4 CHATS): the service will continue running over the holiday season.
By Emma Stringer
Friends for Good Volunteer